Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Case Study 2


Case study 2:

1. Lanh said, “It would be really bad if we have a great idea but are unable to execute it successfully”.
What are your views? Which is more important - the idea or the execution? Why?

Before I actually joined CS3216, I thought idea is the most important component for the project. "The idea is not good enough" tends to be my constant thought when discussing a project. I found the need to wrestle with myself mentally in order to finalize the "idea" before saying it out loud.
However, I set the resolve for myself this year to start getting my hands dirtier. And I think that's the right way to go:
a. Start with a vision, an inspiration and not an idea. Talk it out. Many times I realize what I can articulate easily to myself does not seem easily understood by others. That's the sign of an idea that needs polishing.
b. The idea should center around the users. So it's better to get a prototype/ some rendering of the UI, UX out first. The "idea" is not a definite thing. It can very well be a complex set of intricacies that need to refine over and over.

So I believe that I need an inspiration to start execution, but I need execution to help me realize, understand, reinforce and materialize the inspiration/vision into a definite idea.

2. What have you learnt about Facebook so far?

It's a good way to waste time. Especially for loners, narcissists.
It's a good distraction, which is a need for everyone. So it hits the need of people. But I don't know if it is the initial intention of Facebook.
Facebook is great at creating reciprocity. Every user's action leads to someone else's actions.

3. Comment on the ideas for Another Life and Fan Gang.
Both ideas don't tick with me so I don't really have anything to comment. My impression for Another Life is that the graphic assets must be really really immense and impressive to make it work.

4. Should the team have changed their idea for the Final Project mid-way or stuck to their original
idea? Why, or why not?

For the purpose of the course, I think the team should have stuck to their original idea. So much time has been wasted on the planning. Maybe someone should be more dictatory, have a stronger voice and just set things on course.

5. List the major problems (obvious and non-obvious ones) in faced by the team? How could they
have done differently and better?

There should be a dominant voice. And try to tone down the expectation. Set easier targets to hit.

6. What did the team do right/well?
I guessed to put in so much time with the planning phase. If the team would have turned those precious hours into actual execution, that may have helped them a lot.

7. What would you do if you were Jeremy on the evening of 24th April (and the deadline for the
final project submission was the next day)?

I would try to get all the team together. Talk to everyone as friends. Eventually after the project I would hope everyone remains friends rather than become like awkward acquaintances.

8. How would you handle a situation where one of your team members is unable to deliver on the
work he/she promised because of personal problems?

I would try to ask him/her out privately but frankly. Like a friend. Again, I value friendship beyond the tasks (at least while the work is still considered a school project by me)
9. What, in your opinion, are the key learning points from this case study?

Talk more. There should be more talk beyond the group meetings.
Set the expectations in each other right from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment